The Four Arch Stone Railroad Bridge
The Four Arch Stone Railroad Bridge in Bernardston is a historic structure. It was built in 1847 to carry the Cheshire Railroad. It is one of the few pre-1850 stone arch bridges still standing today. While its age may be questionable, its appearance is still remarkable.
The bridge was 100 years old when it was rebuilt in 2008. The process involved removing the existing tracks and ballast, and replacing them with new, wider concrete “tubs” that had a safety walkway built in. The project required a five-day shutdown of service.
The Four Arch Stone Railroad Bridge in Bernardston is one of the few remaining structures from Bernardston’s Early Industrial Period. It is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The bridge is located south of the town center. It is one of the few structures from the town’s Early Industrial Period, and was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1982. It powered the overhead cable that powered the first mill in town, and it’s thought to be the only cable-driven mill in New England.
Bernardston, New Hampshire has several attractions worth visiting. The town is home to the Kringle Candle Company, a Wildlife Sanctuary, and a Covered Bridge. Another attraction in Bernardston is Route 2 Mohawk Trail, which winds through the town’s state parks and mountains.
The Powers Institute
On May 2, the Powers Institute Museum in Bernardston, New Hampshire will reopen for the first time in several years. Located on the second floor of 20 Church Street, the museum is open to the public and is free of charge. Its hours of operation are 1 to 4 p.m. on Sundays. The museum has been closed since the fall of 2018 due to an outbreak of COVID-19, but the Bernardston Historical Society was given the green light to reopen on May 2. Once the museum reopens, members will be required to follow strict health safety guidelines.
The Powers Institute was built in 1857 as a private academy and later became the town’s high school. In 1957, the Powers Institute graduated its final class. The building, built in Italianate style, is a rare example of a mid-19th century Italianate school building in the Connecticut River Valley. It is part of the Powers Institute Historic District, which was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1994.
The Powers Institute was located next to the Streeter Store and served as the town’s high school for 100 years. Atherton’s parents both graduated from the school. Eventually, the school was replaced by the Pioneer Valley Regional School, and the building was abandoned for a time. However, after the school closed, the Powers Institute underwent a lengthy renovation process, which culminated in its opening as a museum in 2002.
The Barber grist mill
Located just south of Bernardston’s historic center is the Four Arch Stone Railroad Bridge. Constructed by Theodore Judah in 1846, this bridge is one of the town’s few remaining structures from the Early Industrial Period. In 1982, the Four Arch Bridge was listed as a potential National Register Historic District. The bridge houses a turbine which powered the first mill’s overhead cable. As such, the mill is likely the only cable-driven mill in New England.
The town’s heritage landscapes are influenced by farming, which also contributes to the town’s tourist activities. Nearby are gas stations and period hotels. In 1992, the Franklin County Rural Historic Landscape Preservation Plan identified several landscapes as important for preservation in Bernardston, many of which relate to the town’s agricultural history. Route 5/10, which was once a transportation route, and Cushman Park, which is home to an old mill building, are associated with this era.
In the early days of Bernardston, the town produced maple products in large amounts. Today, some of the original maple farms are still in operation. For example, the old cider mill is located on Route 5 North. A historical marker also marks the site of an old cemetery.
While the mill is no longer in use, it can still be toured. Visitors can see the workings of the mill and watch weaving demonstrations.
The Sugar n’ Spice Bake Shop
The Sugar n’ Spice Bake Shop is an excellent place to visit if you’re looking for a unique experience in Bernardston. This bakery specializes in homemade cinnamon rolls and other goodies. It also offers custom cakes for any occasion. This place is a favorite spot for locals and tourists alike.
Grover’s River Maple Farm
The story of the maple syrup industry at Grover’s River Maple Farm began when Grover’s grandfather moved to the area in 1912. His grandfather tapped a few maple trees on the property around the house. Without a sugarhouse, he boiled maple sap on the open fire in a 2-by-3-foot evaporator. Today, the syrup yield is around 40 to one.
The syrup is made at the farm in Bernardston, where it is also sold through mail-order. It can also be purchased at the farmers’ market in Bernardston on Saturdays. If you live in one of these towns, you can buy syrup from this Vermont farm, which is also a producer of milk.
The Route 10/I-91 Corridor
The Route 10/I-91 Corridior in Bernardston, New Hampshire, is a prime location for future commercial development. The town is a historical farming community, and it was the first town in New England to produce maple products. Today, the Maple Farm is still active. On Route 5 North, there’s also a historic cider mill and the Old Cemetery.
Construction on the Bernardston section began in September 1958. At the time, it was an experimental concrete section of the road, and it opened less than two years later. There are still traces of temporary on-ramps along the interstate, where road workers would move traffic and road machinery. The two temporary on-ramps are south of Bernardston and just before Routes 5 and 10 curve under the interstate.
Bernardston is home to several historic landmarks. The central village area consists primarily of properties along Church Street, which extends south to High Street and River Street. It is also home to the Cushman Library, the Powers Institute, and Center Cemetery. The town also has a gas station and a former streeter’s store.
Route 5/10 was an early transportation corridor. Construction of the Interstate ended on Oct. 25, 1966. The 8.7-mile stretch from Greenfield to Whately ended Oct. 25.